- Many teachers use classical music as a way to calm students during work time.
- Sometimes it's fun to pick fun songs or popular songs that the children like from One Direction, Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, etc. If they stop working and are only singing then the natural consequence is the music is off.
- Music is fun for games like musical chairs for parties.
- It also works well for selecting partners for articles. They have to find a partner when the music stops. After they do the brief activity the music starts again and they keep walking until the music stops and pick a new partner.
- Children need to get out of their seat sometimes and move their body. I love using music from The Learning Station, Greg and Steve, and Jack Hartmann. Check out a couple of my favorite videos below!
- Music works well as a signal for when clean up time. Everything must be put away and students in their seats by the time the music stops.
- Use it to get students in line if you have a class who dawdles on the way to the line. They must be in line when the music stops.
- Sing songs in line before getting them out the door.
- Sing a chorus of a song or an entire song during a transition from one activity to another and students must be ready by the time is done. A lot of behavior problems seem to arise during these transitions and this is a good way to put an end to that!
- There are also many songs out there to teach multiplication, addition, phonics, the alphabet, numbers, songs about the weather, seasons, states, etc. Many children learn best when learning is put to music!
I often share youtube videos I find on my facebook page. So be sure to join me there!
Thanks for hoppin' by Hopkins' Hoppin' Happenings. Keep on smiling!